<

shiny objects

Thursday, September 01, 2005


Every so often, something happens in my life that seems to indicate that everything is interconnected, that there are no coincidences and no mistakes. These events occur in threads - they lead effortlessly from one to another, with a synchronism that could not be achieved even by the most careful planning. Today, I entered such a thread.

At 11:09am, Joe appears in Bowles Plaza and tells me that there is a person with whom I must become aquainted. His name is Spencer. I ask Joe what Spencer looks like. Joe smiles and says simply that I'll know him when I see him. I can't miss him.

At 12:09pm, exactly one hour later, I sit down in Whispers Cafe with my laptop with the intent of writing a blog entry. But something is distracting me. I can't collect my thoughts. I feel as if something important is about to happen.

I hear a man speak to his friends behind me. The voice seems familiar. I turn and find myself staring into the eyes of an androgyn. Tight pink t-shirt, tight black pants, painted nails, styled black hair held back by sunglasses. Big grin. A few bracelets. A necklace.

Spencer.

But I couldn't ask. I couldn't ask him just then. What if I were wrong?

So I waited. I waited until the androgyn bid his friends goodbye and strode off to his 12:30 class, and the minute he was gone, I approached the two boys remaining at the table. Freshmen, both of them - I could tell by the e-comp book set in front of them. I made my introductions and told them I had a question that I desperately needed to ask of them. Noting their discomfort, I decided to preface the query with a racontation of what my friend Joe had said, and, when they seemed receptive, I asked them if the boy who had been sitting with them was named Spencer.

He was.

I don't know what this means, but I'm going to pursue it.


|